Pages

20 March, 2014

Climbing in UAE – A daily trip to Hatta…

Recently I went to Dubai to visit my brother who is currently living there and obviously I could not miss the chance to dedicate at least one of my days to a full day of Rock Climbing.

Even though the Emirates might be popular for the amazing Dubai’s skyline and the visionary developments of its costline, it was amazing to discover that within just 1h driving from the city, and immerse in the desert, stands an amazing crag with loads of very nice and diverse routes called Hatta.

Hatta is small destination in the UAE but the Hatta Crag is actually located in Oman a few kilometers after an easy-going border check-point.


Thanks to Facebook group Real UAE rock Climbers I managed to get in contact with some very friendly local climbers, Dana and Ludmil with whom we had a brilliant day of climbing and offered us to drive us up to the crag.

Since I had limited time unfortunately I could not stay longer than I did, however I count to come back again to discover new areas such as RAK, or Wonderwall, Wadi Bih Dibba...they look amazing!

The climbing community in UAE and Oman is growing fast as well as the developments of new climbing areas. A new Climbing Guide Book has been recently released and it can be purchased in the major climbing shops of Dubai as well as online.

If you are planning a climbing trip out of the ordinary classic list, well, I do believe that this side of the world can offer an enchanting mix of amazing rock and unusual landscapes….Have a good desert climbing!

Hiking up
Studying the line

Riccardo on Boy Wonder 6c+


Dana, Ludmil, Ric, Matteo


More pictures are available on my Facebook Page