Pages

18 January, 2014

Climbing in Phuket, Sunset Wall in Nai Harn Beach!

Following the subject of my previous post, I would like to share with you my latest discovery: an untouched Granite Wall located in Nai Harn, south-west of Phuket.

It happened just a few weeks ago when with my friends I was swimming from Nai Harn Beach toward the little island right in front of it.

As I was not trained enough to accomplish the challenge I stopped, withdraw my head from the water, I looked up and I noticed a very nice vertical wall.

Since then, I have been thinking to go back there, check if there was some real climbing potential and why not, to possibly set up a rope.


Eventually last week I came back for the first time with my friend Flavio and with great surprise I found out that even though the cliff is not that high, it features some amazing potential lines up to 7a…or even more!

Considering the wall is only about 10 meters high I do not think that setting up some bolts would make a lot of sense. Luckily, on the top of the cliff there is a little boulder stable enough to be used to secure a removable anchor and set up a few top ropes.

So far I climbed two lines. The first one could be a 6a and I named it ‘Finger’s skin’. The second one I would say is something like 6c/6c+ and I named it ‘Lucky Period’.

Considering this place doesn't have a name yet…I would like to baptize it as the Sunset Wall!

Everybody is welcome to give it a try! 

Sunset Wall - Nai Harn Beach

Riccardo abseiling the wall for the first time ever

Securing the anchor around a stable boulder

Location: Nai Harn Beach, South West Phuket

Access: Drive up to the Eolic Generator, park your car/bike and walk down the hill where some people are practicing paragliding. Follow the steep path on the right until you get on the edge of the cliff.

Period: The cliff is facing west, therefore it stays on shade in the morning until 12h00. In the afternoon  it will be very hot, however from 4h00pm it is possible to climb again and enjoy the amazing sunset!

Do not forget to bring your swimming suit and snorkeling kit!