Pages

07 May, 2013

Climbing in Railay: back to the Mecca…

I came back from Railay yesterday evening. My hands are painful, my arms are still pumped but if I close my eyes I can clearly visualize all the movements of those amazing lines and be ready to climb them again straight away!


I arrived in Tonsai beach on Wednesday afternoon to join my friends Caroline, Ben and Trang coming directly from Vietnam, members of the well-known VietClimb community and we basically climbed like crazy every day from the morning till the evening.

We found accommodation at Railay Garden View Resort on Railay East, a very nice bungalows complex immerse in a nice garden far from the noisy bars. Price was reasonable 600baht/night but make sure you book in advance.

We sent routes all around Fire Wall, Wee’s Present Wall, Escher Wall, Diamond Cave, Pranang Beach, 123 Wall and Muai Thai Wall…even though in my previous post I discouraged these last two crags, I must admit that in fact those two walls have very nice lines! Fortunately not so many climbing schools were operating due to the low season.


Among all the beautiful lines we climbed I would like to suggest:

  • Muai Thai – 6b+ at Muai Thai Wall, the first route of the crag
  • Ling Rong Hei (Monkey Crying) – 6b+ at Wee’s Present Wall, a beautiful line with a surprise at the end
  • Best Route in Minnesota – 6c at Escher World, an infinite vertical black wall inside the cave
  • Don’t Grab the Krabi – 7a+ at Escher World, a short line with a violent boulder on the last 4 meters
  • Don’t buy toys – 7a+ at Pranang Beach, an overhanging tufa ending on a flat micro feet session. 
By the way do not miss the very nice hike from Thaiwand wall to Escher Wall passing through the cave climbing Twenty Kilos of Steel! Bring a torch and enjoy the priceless view!


 Riccardo clipping before the crux of Don’t Grab the Krabi – 7a+ Escher World, Railay West

Ben cleaning Best Route in Minnesota – 6c at Escher World, Railay West


Priceless view of Railay West and Tonsai Beach from the top of Twenty Kilos of Steel at Thaiwand Wall


If you want to see more pictures check my Facebook page