Pages

09 May, 2018

Travelling, Working & Surfing in Tenerife...


Even though I am often complaining about my 9 to 6 office routine, I must admit that working for a large travel company it often gives the opportunity and the advantages to do things, which I would probably not be able to do instead.

One of this is obviously travelling.

Recently I was asked to fly to Tenerife to give a 5 days training session to our operations teams diluited in 2 working weeks and flying back and forth from Palma.



Considering the plan was not really sustainable, I eventually managed to convince my manager to allow me to stay 15 consecutive days instead, bridging weekends and adding some days off on my own expences.

Considering I was also making the company save up 1 return flight, eventually I even managed to get some extra cost covered which allowed me to have some founds to bring Supranee and Ettore with me. Cool!

Tenerife is famous for two things: el Teide, the highest Spanish peak, and the surf!!!

The very first 3 days were fully dedicated to my job and therefore I didn’t have much time to do anything, on top of it we were staying in an awful hotel located in the middle of nowhere.

Luckily the following days we moved to Playa de lasAmericas, where everything changed, we rented a car and I rented a surfboard.

For the following days the routine was pretty much the following: wake up at 6h45am, wear my wet suit, eat a banana while walking down the beach barefoot holding my board, do some stretching paddle out and start surfing!

During working days I was able to surf till 09h00 run back have a shower and head to the office, while during the other days I could stay longer in the water go back to the hotel for a massive brunch, sleep till afternoon and later on go out to explore the island by car.

Supranee and Ettore were fully enjoying the beach, playing around the kid’s park and enjoying shopping.

What a life!

Before moving back to Palma we also spent the very last 2 nights at Puerto de la Cruz, a picturesque village on the west side of the island enjoying the breeze, the food and the amazing atmosphere of this town. Awesome.


Tenerife has a very stable climate all the year around, never too hot, never too cold, it´s like living an eternal spring. I am not sure how it would really be living full time in this place, yet I am sure we will come back to enjoy those amazing perfect waves.