Pages

07 January, 2018

Climbing results in 2017: 21 routes from 7a to 7b+

2017 has just finished and it is impossible not to make a balance of this first year in Mallorca.

Taking into account the mere aspect of climbing, which as usual makes everything else look almost irrelevant, I would say that the most important trait of my climbing experience has been fired up by the idea of start taking note of each route I climbed.

I know this sounds a bit silly, however following the suggestion given by Sergi Flash, a local climber I often climbed with, I understood how important this routine is in terms of self-motivation.

Sergi has an hand-written notebook where he takes note of all the routes from 7a and above that he sends or project. He writes down how many pegues (attempts) he gives to each route before sending it, he collects hand-made croquis (topos) and any other sort of information he might consider relevant.

I found this practice very inspiring and following his example I started doing a similar job but instead of using a notebook, I am keeping my records on a excel file.

The results were really unexpected and far above my expectations if compared with any other year of the past.

In 2017 I climbed in total 21 routes from 7a to 7b+ across Krabi (Thailand), Mallorca (Spain), Sardinia (Italy) and I managed to send 15 of them.

Among the 6 I didn´t manage to send there are two important routes that I am thrilled to complete as soon as the conditions are good again: Sweetie the Pooh, a fantastic 30 meter ride in Caimari, and King Conguito a classic sustained overhang in S’estret both of them graded 7b.

Considering the general high level of ordinary European climbers, I am aware my results are nothing special, yet considering a bad injury I suffered right after the summer when I was at the top of my shape, and certain limitation given by being a father, I am super happy and absolutely psyked of the year to come.

A big thanks goes to Sergi, for the inspiration given, to Marco for his help, and of course to my wife Supranee for her endless support.


Happy 2018 - Climb harder!