Pages

05 May, 2017

Shortbreak in Sardinia, just amazing...


Since I moved to Mallorca and I started the new job I have the possibility to work from home two days a week Mondays and Tuesdays, which somehow gives me the opportunity to enjoy more time with my family and somehow have this feeling of having a prolonged weekend. 

In addition if there is the possibility to bridge these weekends with national holidays and perhaps take one or two days off  the possibility to undertake some long trips becomes really inviting.

As such, considering the recent festivities I took the advantage to fly back to Sardinia, my homeland!

For all those who are not familiar with Mediterranean geography, I would like to remind you that Sardinia is the second largest Island of Italy, after Sicily and it is located in the Mediterranean Sea.

If you have a look on goggle map you will immediately realize that Mallorca is really closed to Sardinia, but funny enough there isn't any direct flight to connect the two major cities Palma and Cagliari! 

Yet, with a stop in Barcelona it is quite easy to reach the destination in less than 6h door to door! Pretty good considering my former average lenght of trip Phuket-Cagliari 24h net! 

During my stay in Sardinia I obviously visited my parents, brothers, relatives and of course, I went out climbing! 

Considering the season changes, selecting the right spot to maximize our climbing days was a bit hard. Staying under the sun could be too hot, and staying on shade could be still a bit too cold, fortunately Pietra di Luna, the Climbing Bible of Sardinia written by the Climbing Guru Maurizio Oviglia gives exhaustive indications to select the right spot!

Among the 7 days I stayed in Sardinia I went out climbing 4 times. 

The first day we went to Masua, a classic spot facing the sea. Really an amazing location featuring long vertical walls of perfect rock formations. The second day I went out with my long-term 'socio', Captain Gatto just the two of us, and we went out exploring some forgotten areas of Domusnovas called Piccola Bottega degli Orrori, Zerolandia and Free Sex, on the third day we climbed in a classic spot called Canneland right at the entrance of San Giovanni Caves in Domusnovas where we climbed after 12 years a classic route on a superb tuffa called Silvia Baraldini and bolted by the Master Enzo Lecis

On my last day of climbing I came back to the Piccola Bottega degli Orrori, together with my wife. I know I could have gone elsewhere but I needed to sent a route I tried a few days ago, so I did! A ridiculous hard start 7a on slabs and crimps!

In terms of babies accessibility, Mausa could be ok, however make sure you pay an eye to your baby constantly! You do not want to find them rolling down the hill up to the beach! Canneland, the location is just perfect! Flat area, very accessible and car parking at 5m from the routes. Piccola Bottega degli Orrori, Zerolandia and Free Sex are not really child friendly, better to avoid in particular if your babied are still very young.

@Cagliari - from the plane


@Family on Belay in Masua

@Captain Gatto and his neapew Francesco

@Supranee and Ettore in Masua

@Supranee on Silvia Baraldini, 6b+
@Riccardo on Doctor PC, 6b+


@wild climbing areas in Domusnovas