Pages

17 November, 2014

Climbing in Koh Yao Noi, The season has officially started...

6 months have already passed since the realization of Tripping in Chong Plee and after such a long break spent mostly surfing in Kata beach and Nai Harn beach now my hands are itching again for a new project.

During the last weekend I went out Climbing in Koh Yao Noi with my friend Max but since this was his very first time on rock the plan was to keep it as the Thais say Sabai Sabai…


The first day we went to The Big Tree were we set up a few routes and later we moved to the HD Wall to climb some classic climbs. After we came at our bungalow I realized how easily I climbed those lines so in the night I started thinking about a route I had always seen, but never tried before…White Rice!


White Rice is a 7b located at the extreme right of the Dump Wall, right behind the corner of The Bea Wall. The route was bolted by Mark Miner in 2009 and I believe that since then not many climbers have repeated it…that’s why it inspires me, it looks untouched and only a few chalk-marks are visible.

The route it’s about 25m long. It starts with an easy overhang but in between the second and the third bolt there is already the crux which consist in taking with the left hand a distant sloppy 2 fingers hole while blocking with the right hang a good under-clean, twist entirely the body stay in balance, release the good hold and reach another distant 3 finger under-clean pocket with the right hand. Once this is taken, you need to quickly up your feet on some really sloppy footholds and grab with the right hand a relatively good border.

Once the move it’s complete, you can eventually clip the 3rd quick-draw. Scaring…

After this part there are around 5 meters of a quite easy session in a pumpy overhang. From here there is a full rest and after that there is a second hard session that goes from a balancing move on sloppy feet to a powerful pull and hill-hook to a good hole, from here you can clip, manage to get some energy back and prepare for the last s movement on a very vertical wall with sloppy holes up to the anchor, around 6 meters from here. This session is not even that hard, but coming from a consistent overhang with pumped harms, and balancing up to a vertical wall having not really good holds doesn’t make the entire thing so easy…

On day two I managed to find all the sequence, but I haven’t done any real attempt yet. Unfortunately this crag stays on shade only until 12h00 therefore time is limited…anyhow I will try my best on my next visit.

The climbing season has officially started…!

amazing off-road drive through the rubber plantations


White Rice, 7b - Dump Wall Koh Yao Noi