Pages

10 April, 2014

Climbing in Ao Nang - Back to Spirit Mountain...

During the very last weekend I came back to Spirit Mountain in Chong Plee after a long pause that kept away from this beautiful crag from more than one year.

The very last time I went there, my climbing partner Supranee May was just a novice and she didn’t even manage to reach the anchor of Ego Free Zone 6a+ top ropping the route.

After one year of extensive climbing all around Railay, Tonsai and Koh Yao Noi we eventually decided to come back to this spot both to celebrate one year of climbing together, and both to test our improvements.

The result was brilliant and unexpected!


On the first day Supranee easily sent Ego Free Zone, on the second day she managed to flash an amazing 6b called Devil’s back bone and not satisfied enough she sent her first 6b On Sight Exfoliation. Eventually on the third morning she even managed to try on lead her first 6c Pil Box discovering a new dimension and pushing her limit forward. Impressive!

On my side, when we arrived at the crag I was immediately flashed by the white color of a beautiful steep vertical short wall on which there is an intimidating route called Tripping, 7b+.

It was love at first sight. Coming down from a 6b I stopped to touch the holds…it looked simply impossible. I tried to figure out a possible sequence but it looked brutal hard and I was about to give up.

The route is divided in three parts, a delicate start with a positive angle, a steep vertical white wall with just 7 hard movements, and a final part on a classic tufa composition. The beginning and the end of the route are around 6b/6b+ while the central part is the real beast.

When I started figuring out the movements another local climber discouraged me suggesting not losing time trying the route because conditions were not good. It was indeed very humid and those little holds looked impossible to take, however I was already committed and I pushed forward.

On day two, after having spotted all the movements and finally having completed the brutal sequence on top rope I decided it was time to add an important date on my climbing records.

After a sleepless night were I was virtually climbing the route the whole night, I came back to the crag and after having set up all the quick draws and accurately clean up all the most important holds I managed to easily send the route.

Tripping is the hardest route I have ever sent, all my gratitude goes to Supranee for her belay and for the motivation she constantly injects me!

What’s next?

Tripping 7b+ - Spirit Mountain, Chong Plee, Ao Nang
Supranee May - after sending Don't tell my mum 6b in KYN