Pages

03 February, 2014

Phuket Climbing: Falling Rocks at The Bee Wall in Koh Yao Noi

I would like to inform you that yesterday morning a big piece of rock fell down from the 6a at Bee Wall in Koh Yao Noi and almost transformed our climbing day in a tragedy.

When I was climbing the route I noticed that a big piece of rock was moving a little, I knock it, and as the sound was not very friendly I stopped and I tried to remove it.

Since it was actually impossible to do it I gave up thinking that it might be stable enough or at least it would be better to use a tool such a hammer to remove it.


Few minutes later, when I was belaying my friend Geko who was top-ropping the route, as soon as he stepped on that piece of rock it suddenly fell off to the ground.

Luckily, I was constantly looking up following the climbing progression and I immediately noticed the rock coming down. In a blink of an eye the rock smashed on the floor, I managed to step back right in time but the rock hit my left leg causing me a little wound.

My leg started bleeding, my blood froze and after a few seconds I realized what could have happen if I was not paying constant attention to my climbing partner.

I have been climbing for around 10 years and this is not the first time that such episode happens.  Rock Climbing is a dangerous activity that deserves the maximum attention from all the persons around the crag, climbers and non-climbers. 

We all know it very well but we often forget it, or at least we underestimate the consequences of our negligence.

Yesterday we were very lucky however I would like again to remind you to always take this activity with the right dose of attention.

Have a good climb!

Riccardo

On Red circle the piece of rock few minutes before the accident

The Rock